It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:23 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:39 am 
n00b
n00b

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
Hello all!
Just picked one of these up to fart around on, it's beat but the price was decent :).
I was going to reply to one of the older threads, but realized they were quite aged and I know that's frowned upon on some boards.
Fixing the bike back up to get it on the street, I think it's mostly good except the headlight is burnt out on both beams... And it's the Canadian sealed beam one, so I'm guessing if I can get one from Suzuki it will be worth it's weight in gold! I'm going to try to bodge something up and I'll be sure to post it up on here in case someone else runs into the same issue. In all fairness I guess I should at least get a price from Suzuki Canada in case it turns out to only be $25 or something :).

As others have stated, very little info on the web about these old zook scoots. I see them pop up occasionally on Kijii here (that's how I found mine) and they are quite reasonably priced. Loving the pep of the little two stroke, surprised at how quickly it gets my bulk up to speed! Lol

Anyway, main reason for my post was just to introduce myself and mention my headlight problem. I'll be sure to come back and post the resolution once I get it sorted.

My apologies if this is in the wrong place, admins please feel free to move it if I'm in the wrong area.

Thanks all, safe riding! :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:16 pm 
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
Welcome Dude enjoy the scoot. I've heard in a few places where they converted the old sealed beam to a newer style bulb but for the love of me at the moment I cant find the page. When you get the Ol'Boy running post up a few Pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:05 pm 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Here's an example of retro fitting a halo bulb into a sealed beam headlight, in this case for Honda Aero 125. You might follow the general idea and do something similar.

Alternatively, you might be able to doing something with an LED headlight. Would require more fabrication I think, but the added benefit would be to lower the total current draw on the charging system.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:26 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm pretty sure I can do something with the original sealed beam, I'll have to pull out the dremel and do a little playing! I would really like to graft an LED light into it if I can, not really worried about light output as I wont be using it at night. Just need the light to make it legal here.

Had a chance to fiddle around with it a little more, got it insured and registered no problem. Starts and runs like a champ, and has fairly impressive power for only being a 50cc. I'm getting a kick out of the two stroke ring ding ding, it's a little loud though. I think one of the previous owners modified the exhaust and maybe pulled the baffle out. Found a NOS exhaust on ebay, but it's waaay to expensive!

Neat little machine, I'm getting a kick out of it! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:35 am 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

There are LED H4 conversion bulbs. I don't think they're good enough (reliable, bright, even dispersion) for a car or full size street motorcycle, but they might work fine for 50cc scooter. So you would do the same sealed beam > H4 conversion, but use the LED H4 instead of a standard halogen bulb.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:12 am 
n00b
n00b

ultra sonic wrote:
There are LED H4 conversion bulbs. I don't think they're good enough (reliable, bright, even dispersion) for a car or full size street motorcycle, but they might work fine for 50cc scooter. So you would do the same sealed beam > H4 conversion, but use the LED H4 instead of a standard halogen bulb.

Yup, this is exactly what I was thinking. I'm going to pursue this and try to get a working headlight just for legalities. Unfortunately our weather has tanked, so I guess I've got lots of time to get it done... Lol, like about 6 or 7 months :).

Only ridden it a few times, but it seems to move out pretty good for 50cc's, especially considering I weigh like 210 pounds. Might look for a little larger machine in the spring as well. Probably be easier than losing weight ;)