It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:34 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:51 am 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
Well, I took the plunge... and it didn't cost me a dime.

I traded my vintage '69 Honda PC50 4-stroke moped for the above scooter.

Has a couple issues but I'm no stranger to getting my hands dirty.

The petcock leaks and the front fork is a little bent but otherwise it's in pretty good shape for an '83. Needs a good cleaning as it's been sitting in a barn for quote a number of years.

On the plus side it does not seem to be suffering from the infamous starting problem plaguing these scooters. I'll just keep my fingers crossed on that one.

Anyhow, here's a couple initial pics... with more to follow as I start my Riva journey !!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:18 pm 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
Well, first steps first...

Have to have it safety inspected by my local motorcycle shop.

Inspection includes tires, brakes, turn signals, headlight, horn, brake light, start, stop.

If I pass I get a certificate I then bring to my favourite insurance broker and obtain insurance.

In the meantime I guess I can apply for my learner's license so I can take the driving test.

Oh, I also found a service manual on eBay... should be here by June 8 !!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:34 pm 
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Nice find. Have fun getting it back on the road

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:11 am 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Holy cow... I've been busy with this scooter.

I found, ordered and received the service manual, the owner's manual, a missing piece of body panel and a front fork. I also ordered front and rear brakes and will be ordering tires soon.

Once I had the service and owner's manual in my hot little hands I determined how to correctly remove the panels around the engine, as well as the seat and the gas tank. This allowed me to track down and eliminate a major gas leak. Wouldn't you know it, all I needed was a tiny hose clamp and, voilĂ , the leak is no more.

I determined that a previous owner had replaced the main gas line and had only used a hose clamp at the petcock end but not at the carb end. Over the years the line had developed a leak but the hose clamp took care of things... all for less than a dollar !!!

I also checked the foam air filter and it was obvious that the guy I got it from had cleaned and oiled it. I will change the sparkplug before putting the panels back on,

Once I dealt with the leak I filled the gas tank completely. This confirmed that the sending unit works so I have a working gas gauge. I then coaxed the scooter back to life. Once the engine was warmed up I was able to adjust the idle set screw so the scooter wouldn't stall every time I let go the throttle.

In July I'm bringing the scooter to a bike mechanic so he can change the front fork, the brakes and the tires.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:56 pm 
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Nicely done Ol'Chap.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:50 am 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Still working on the scooter... all I'm missing now are tires.

Decided to clean up the scooter internals by using my air compressor and several rags.

I also decided to repaint the muffler with some BBQ paint.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:50 pm 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

I had to take the pet cock apart on mine it had a very slow leak. BBQ paint did not hold up well on my muffler, I think I have had my '83 for about 10 years. Mine now has bad bearings on the steering head, they are balls and I just have not got to it yet.

The tires were a real pain to change at home, both of the rims do not have much of a hollow in the center. Do change the valve stems, I had one blow off on the highway and was a wild ride. On the rear wheel there is a hollow cut out for the valve stem, the idiot who put the tire on last had it 1/3 off. There are 3 possible positions you can put the rim on and he got the wrong one and valve stem gets bent if it's wrong.
John

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:37 am 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

HUZZAH !!!

The tires finally arrived... and I'm picking them up Friday morning.

In the meantime I've decided the following... since the mechanic needs to remove all the front fairings in order to change the front fork... and that I already have all the back fairings off already... I will make his life and mine simpler by removing the remainder of the fairings.

This will enable a couple things... 1) the mechanic will do his job faster and, therefore, cost me less "shop time" and 2) I can start repainting all the panels while the bike is in the shop.

WIN WIN !!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:00 pm 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

I've been having fun repainting the various body panels on the Riva.

I start by lightly scuffing a panel using 400 grit sandpaper. I then wash down the panel to ensure it is free of grease, dirt, dust, etc.

Wearing nitrile gloves I mask the areas I don't want to paint using frog tape and an exacto knife.

Once I've propped up the part in my homemade paint booth, I give the panel a good and even coat of primer. I'm using a Rustoleum spray paint that is formulated to adhere to plastic.

Once I'm satisfied the primer is dry (usually the next day) I apply an initial coat of a deep red, again from a Rustoleum spray paint.

This is followed 24 hours later with another coat of red.

I haven't applied the clear coat yet... but, so far, so good !!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:47 pm 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Wow, have not been here for a while !!

Things are picking up... the scooter and I are going to the mechanic's garage on April 1st to help him change the front fork, brakes & tires. All that in exchange for a bottle of scotch !!

All the fairings are off and are being painted. The nose took a good thump some time ago so I'll need to patch that back together (JB Weld for plastic and a fiberglass reinforcement patch on the back I think) before I paint.

I'll post some pics later tonite.

Cheers !!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:07 am 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Gotta love YouTube !!

Found a great tutorial by a British guy all about welding plastic !!

He demonstrated a great trick for "tacking" plastic together.

Take a piece of bare wire, fashion a "paperclip" shape out of it, line up your broken plastic pieces and melt the "paperclip" into the plastic using a soldering iron. This will hold the pieces together while you lay down your fiberglass or other reinforcement material.

Brilliant... can't wait to try it !!

Going to my local Princess Auto after work to pick up a good soldering iron and a fiberglass parching kit.

P.S. He recommends NOT getting the hottest soldering iron you can get... too easy to melt right through the fairing you are mending and create more work for yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:32 pm 
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Wow all that work for a bottle of Scotch love it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:25 am 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

tiny wrote:
Wow all that work for a bottle of Scotch love it

It's going to be a good bottle of scotch !! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:28 am 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Did some more body work on the weekend. Mended the crack in the nose using the "melt the "paperclip" into the plastic using a soldering iron" technique and it worked perfectly.

I then melted some zip-tie plastic over the "paperclip" to make sure it wasn't going anywhere. Next I'll be making a reinforcement on the backside of the fairing using metallic mesh and JB Weld for plastic.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:28 pm 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

So... tomorrow is the big day... off the mechanic !!

However, ever since I started up the scooter from its winter slumber, it's been leaking gas... from where I can't tell. It also seem to backfire before catching.

Once I get it running the idle is smooth.

I guess I won't be able to avoid it... I'll crack the scooter in two sometime next week and dig into the carb.