2001 Derbi Preditor LC

Modern Scoots from Vespa, Lambretta, Piaggio, Aprilia and Derbi
GVH
Throttle Master
Throttle Master
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

2001 Derbi Preditor LC

Post by GVH »

This may not have been the best purchase but it's mine. Still waiting on the Quebec ownership but for $100 something to play with. It has been abused and butchered. Bald tires, no rear brakes, butchered up wiring with a 12 BS battery instead of the 4 BS it should have. Does have good compression. Charging the battery over night to see what happens.
VIN# VTHPREDB61G183742
Attachments
pipe.gif
pipe.gif (75.47 KiB) Viewed 14584 times
derbi.gif
derbi.gif (131.5 KiB) Viewed 14584 times
Last edited by GVH on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tyler vr
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: 2001 Derbi Preditor LC

Post by tyler vr »

Right on man, looks like it's all there. :D

One thing I see that's different from my 2002 GP1 is the rear suspension. I believe that 2001 was a split year when Piaggio bought out Derbi and it looks like you have the earlier Derbi brand engine.
GVH
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by GVH »

Quick check. Scooter has about 145 psi. Spins fast. It has no spark. It does have electricity going to the coil or more specifically the black green wire from the Magnito (spelling) lights up the led trouble light.

On a side note the crap home wiring job burnt up literally. The magic smoke escaped. Maybe wiring a 20 amp fuse in place of the 4 amp one and leaving all the home wiring exposed didn't help. I mean no tap or anything on all the connections he did.
GVH
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by GVH »

OK more testing. If the Yellow/Green and Black/Green are connected to the coil no power shows up on the test light when touching either side of the coil. If just the Black/Green is only connected test light lights up on both sides of the coil.
GVH
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by GVH »

I took the plastics off to find all the wiring and test fix his work. 4 empty plugs and no CDI found.
Attachments
wiringmess.gif
wiringmess.gif (322.72 KiB) Viewed 14568 times
GVH
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by GVH »

tyler vr wrote:Right on man, looks like it's all there. :D

One thing I see that's different from my 2002 GP1 is the rear suspension. I believe that 2001 was a split year when Piaggio bought out Derbi and it looks like you have the earlier Derbi brand engine.

According to some forums they had a 2001 to 5 month as one motor and 2001 6th month on as the later Piaggio motor ??
GVH
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by GVH »

So this is the closest wiring diagram I can find. It seems I need to find out a few things. Is it Magneto or Stator, AC or DC. What I can see is the diagram seems to show the Battery Positive goes to the ignition switch, Black Red from Stator goes to the side stand then to the coil unit.

GVH
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by GVH »

I have a new aftermarket ignition switch ordered. I need to figure out what cdi unit to get. My scooter seems to have a magneto as that is what all the parts sites are trying to sell me.
GVH
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by GVH »

Going to look at and buy a 2003 ish Piaggio Typhoon 50 scooter. Complete sitting a bit missing ownership. I may be able to use the coil/CDI unit to test the Derbi.

Just depends on price of course. Not willing to pay a lot for no ownership not running.
GVH
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by GVH »

Ok I have decided it is time to stop this project. Ownership never appeared. Not a big surprise. It still needs a coil/CDI unit to run. The factory style units are about $70 delivered.

So what I'm saying is $100 or $50 I keep the battery. Delivery possible is not to far.