Amazing deal, or too much scooter?

Modern Scoots from Vespa, Lambretta, Piaggio, Aprilia and Derbi
Kymchi518
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Amazing deal, or too much scooter?

Post by Kymchi518 »

I've been planning to get a scooter for some time now. I'd planned to get a 50cc of some variety, since I don't have my motorcycle endorsement yet. But with a top speed of ~35mph, I decided I'd need a bit bigger of a scooter to ride safely in my home area (several main roads are 40mph). I was starting to look into some 125cc models. So that's the background.

My question is this: Yesterday, I found out that a friend is selling a 2006 Piaggio BV 500 with really low mileage (~650 miles). It was gifted to him (used, I think) by his grandfather a few years ago, and he just doesn't feel like he rides it enough to keep it (needs the garage space). He's asking about $2000 for it.

It's way more powerful than I'd planned to get, but it seems like too good of a deal to pass up. I'm here looking for some unbiased advice for a scooter-newbie.

So first, is that price as amazing as it seems to me? I know its 12 years old, but it only has ~650 miles on it and seems to be in great shape (as far as I can tell).

Second, do you think it's too much for a first time scooter owner? It rides smooth, and logic says more power is probably better in this case. But I'll admit I'm a little intimidated by it.
tiny
Throttle Master
Throttle Master
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Amazing deal, or too much scooter?

Post by tiny »

thats a really good price for a Maxi Scooter. But it is a big heavy(400Lbs) scooter might be a bit much for a first timer.
KYMCO ZX50 & Super9, '13 KYMCO Movie 150
Johnniespeed
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by Johnniespeed »

I would take a 500cc any day over a 50cc. I have owned many, many scooters and have come to realize that I don't like going slow.
The downside is not the cycle endorsement ( that is super easy) but having insurance to pay for.
In my opinion every scooter rider should have a cycle endorsement, it requires that each rider learn about safety and tests their competency to ride.
The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.
I have a Ninja powered Grom and a GSXR 1000.
Atis
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by Atis »

I owned a small scooter for years, Honda Elite 80, likely faster than your 50cc will go. With a 50cc you will be relegated to the shoulders or deal with people bearing down on you and breathing down your neck. Honestly 30 mph roads were worse than 40 mph because 30's are usually single lane with no passing allowed, 40's are often double lane allowing passing for cars or have a wide shoulder for you. I agree 500 will be much for a newcomer. Having past experience I would opt for the 500, but be careful and practice a lot before hitting public roads. If that deal falls through I would strongly recommend you evaluate your most common needs carefully for what you need. Given your description now I would recommend at least 125 to 150cc.