eletric scooters? wans next plan!

Talk about anything scooters.
donny
Scooter Legend
Scooter Legend
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1965

Re: eletric scooters? wans next plan!

Post by donny »

ok wan i am back,slight hang over but other wise fine. this scooter has potential for solar.but how much weight can it hold for you and camping gear? i still think you will need more than just solar for recharging?
presently enjoy riding a Ruckus and a Super 9. Tinkering with a Riva 180 and a couple of old Puch SV's. In the off season I enjoy a 1999 Polaris Indy 600 XLT Touring and a 2014 Artic Cat Prowler side by side
Dan Durston
Site Admin
Site Admin
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Post by Dan Durston »

I think it's more reasonable to have a solar powered scooter that you leave out in the sun for a day or two while it charges and then you drive it for a while. To actually make a scooter that generates solar power as fast as it uses it would be extremely hard. Many universities have spent millions on their solar powered cars which are super tiny with less wind drag than a scooter, plus they are covered in solar panels and even still they can only do about 30km/hr (20mph). I think you'll either need to somehow design a massive solar array or have a scooter that has batteries to hold the power and then you leave it out in the sun to charge before you drive.
Scooters Owned: 2003 Ruckus, 2006 Ruckus, 1983 Yamaha Beluga 80, 2007 Vespa LX 150, 2009 Yamaha BWS 125, 2008 Ruckus
donny
Scooter Legend
Scooter Legend
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1965

Post by donny »

been following solar and other renewable energy sources on other matters. i found Germany, is leading in developing such technologies. i think wan should be looking there?
presently enjoy riding a Ruckus and a Super 9. Tinkering with a Riva 180 and a couple of old Puch SV's. In the off season I enjoy a 1999 Polaris Indy 600 XLT Touring and a 2014 Artic Cat Prowler side by side
Dan Durston
Site Admin
Site Admin
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Post by Dan Durston »

If he can afford it....
Scooters Owned: 2003 Ruckus, 2006 Ruckus, 1983 Yamaha Beluga 80, 2007 Vespa LX 150, 2009 Yamaha BWS 125, 2008 Ruckus
donny
Scooter Legend
Scooter Legend

Post by donny »

needs to sell himself as world traveler to these company's and get sponsored? if anyone had enough luck its wan!
donny
Scooter Legend
Scooter Legend

Post by donny »

hey! Toshiba has announced a new super charged ion battery! "SCiB" it holds more charge longer and recharges much faster, 30 min as to 4 hours.

this is big for what wan needs!
Dan Durston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dan Durston »

The SCiB is a form of a lithium-ion battery (Li-Ion), and Li-Ion is definately the future for the next decade atleast. The Chevy Volt and the Tesla Roadster are both Li-Ion. Compared to other batteries like lead acid, the Li-Ion batteries are way lighter and more energy dense (ie. smaller) so you can create battery packs that go far. The problem is that a kw/hr can propel a car 2-5 miles and currently 1 kw/hr of capacity costs about $1000. So for $10 grand, you can get a battery back that is good for 20 - 50 miles. Over the life of the car, you actually come pretty close to paying that off but people don't think that far ahead. They see one car for $15 grand and another car for $25 grand and they choose the cheap one. prices are going to come down as mass production really gets going thanks to cars like the Chevy Volt. Hopefully the price can drop by about half and then they'll really be compelling cars.
donny
Scooter Legend
Scooter Legend

Post by donny »

with the electric car, i sure wonder how they could work in winter? heat and power in sub zero weather?
Dan Durston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dan Durston »

Li-Ion batteries are a lot better in the cold than most. They don't lose too much power and once they warm up the power comes back. A pure electric car like the Tesla Roadster would have a way of warming the pack quickly so after 5 - 10 minutes it would be warm. Extreme cold is a bit hard of Li-Ion batteries but it's not terrible.

A car like the Chevy Volt that has 40 miles of electric range and then the gas generator kicks in to charge the batteries will do it differently. In really cold conditions, the Volt will run off just the gas motor for the first 5 minutes or so while it warms the batteries using the heat from the gas engine. Once the batteries are warm enough it'll transition over to electric power. E-REVS (extended range electric vehicles) are really cool because they have enough electric range to do most of your daily driving and only on long trips would you use gas. This way you still save a ton of money in gas and the car isn't super expensive because you don't need a massive battery pack.
donny
Scooter Legend
Scooter Legend

Post by donny »

guys kike us can do this? put up with cold and discomfort? for electric vehicles in our climate too become viable? i hope so!
Dan Durston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dan Durston »

Electric vehicles are definately the future....or at least they should be. Getting the technology started is expensive but after we've been making electric cars for 5 years or so, they are going to drop in price a lot and when you consider the gas savings they'll be way cheaper. Imagine driving to your cottage without using any gas.....you could go all the time and not feel bad about it!

The Chevy Volt is great because it's sorta half electric/half gas. That gets the electric technology in mass use (motors, batteries, controllers etc) and then the price starts dropping. Once factories are built that are automated to build batteries the price will drop a lot....roughly in half experts say. Right now all large lithium ion batteries are built by hand. If the Volt is successful, it will be possible to follow that up with an all electric car that has hundreds of miles in range.

There is also some neat technology coming out for quick charging batteries. It should be possible in the next 5 years or so to quick charge large battery packs in about 15 min.
HrlyDave
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by HrlyDave »

Just read about this Zero dirt bike in "Adventure" magazine.
A quick websearch yielded this video from Jay Lenos garage :

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/vid ... vid=658441

Not what Wan is looking for, but an interesting addition to the electric vehical technology. Seems to have plenty of power, that's for sure.

I thought the video was pretty cool.
Hope you all enjoy it too.

HD
"Ain't Life Grand"

1952 Cushman step through, 1957 Cushman Eagle, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
donny
Scooter Legend
Scooter Legend

Post by donny »

hey i saw bikes like that racing one nite watching a late nite satellite stuff, yes they were fast and they fly! but the heats were short about 10-15mins. have not see anything close until the zero.

yeah not what wan needs but going the the right direction.
Dan Durston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dan Durston »

that is a really neat dirtbike
Bowery4
n00b
n00b

Post by Bowery4 »

Hi guys post number 1 for me so I had to put it on the Wan thread. His thread about his plan has died on TR so it seems. I think solar and electric together is the problem with it. But he should look into some sponsership this time around. Personally I would think going allout hybred is the direction he sould be looking into.
He certainly has a vision and it would be great if he could get some people with big ideas and money behind them to get this going.
Who wouldn't want a riding advertisement going through out the world getting on the news everywhere?
(Honda are you listening this time?)
BTW Dan you need a welcome thingy.