Yamaha sh50 1988 riva razz request

Salient/Riva 50, Beluga/ Riva 80, Razz, Jog, Vino, C3, BWs and Zuma scooters.
Tjscha
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Yamaha sh50 1988 riva razz request

Post by Tjscha »

Hey all,
I've been following the forums for a while but this is my first post.
Anyway, I am fixing up a razz right now as have made it to my last problem, the electrical components.

What I need is a picture of the wiring where it plugs into the starter relay. Or the wire configuration of the four wires.

The reason is that the last person that worked on it pulled the wires out of the harness. As in the two reds and then there is a blue/yellow and green/yellow. Basically they pulled the b/y and g/y, and I'm not sure which one goes on top.

So on to the general problem. When I turn the key on the starter motor fires immediately and doest stop unless you turn the key off or pull the breaks.
Now if I unplug the break light, the scooters ignition system will work just fine.

If you have any questions let me know thanks.
tiny
Throttle Master
Throttle Master
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Yamaha sh50 1988 riva razz request

Post by tiny »

There is a great wire diagram in the Razz owners manual. You can check it out on the download part of the web sight.
Just lookin'at the diagram and it looks like the green/yellow one goes from the brake switch and the tail light to the starter relay and is on the top while the Blue/yellow wire is connected to the starter relay and the battery.
The Diagram is not in colour but is properly labeled and legend and should help you find the problem. Good Luck happy huntin' :D
KYMCO ZX50 & Super9, '13 KYMCO Movie 150
Tjscha
n00b
n00b

Post by Tjscha »

Alright thanks I've been trying to figure the electrical diagram on the guide out.

Having no background knowledge on scooters I have to ask, when you put the key in and are not holding the brakes in then turn the key to on, is it normal for the starter motor to go?
Oddly if I do hold the brake in then turn the key to on the starter motor won't fire until I hit the start button...

Any help would be appreciated
tiny
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by tiny »

No starter motor should only try and crank when you are holding the rear break lever down its a safety feature. You might have a wire crossed up some where.
KYMCO ZX50 & Super9, '13 KYMCO Movie 150
jenoel2002
n00b
n00b

Post by jenoel2002 »

Hi, I’m having the exact problem with the razz I bought for my wife, were you able to find the fix for it and what was it?
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by flybd5_juan »

tiny wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:27 pm No starter motor should only try and crank when you are holding the rear break lever down its a safety feature. You might have a wire crossed up some where.
Actually, on scooters it is only supposed to crank when you hold either brake lever.
A black hole marks the spot <insert imaginary deity here> divided by zero.