Burgman 400

Chat about your old AE50 Hyper or Burgman 400 / 650.
JimW
Twist 'n Pro
Twist 'n Pro
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Burgman 400

Post by JimW »

Having had the first of the Maxi scoots - the Helix, bought new in 1990 it never came up to my expectations and after 24 years and only 7,000 miles it had to go. I became interested in the Burgman and soon found after a bit of Internet research that the preferred model is undoubtedly the 400 model...

In August 2014 I happened to be passing a Norwich main Suzuki dealer and out of interest stopped to 'black my nose', the company had new Burgman models but only one 09 plated model that had two previous owners in its 10,120 miles. Arrangements were made for a test ride where it was interesting to compare its performance and handling with the Helix.

Being 400cc it was obviously faster than the Helix and also smoother, 30 & 40 mph restricted roads did not give an opportunity to explore higher speeds but there was no doubt that they were there in abundance where the machine is capable of continuous cruising at 80 - 90 mph although with my pleasure only riding at 77 I'm unlikely to tap into its motorway virtues very often.
Bought in August 2014 but not used until January 2015 due to a heart attack last August I now look forward to some warmer weather riding in the spring.

Jim
'83 NH80 Lead, '84 NH125 Lead, '52 500cc Sunbeam S8, '09 Burgman 400 K8
ycbrewster
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Burgman 400

Post by ycbrewster »

Jim, I hope you are getting a chance to enjoy your Burg. Unlike you, I am very much a newbie, I have only just received my endorsement in April. My first ride was the Yamaha Morphous (very similar I suspect, to your Helix). I knew I wanted to do highway miles, so I actually prearranged for my son to take the Morphous prior to any real riding experience. Not quite sure how I feel about this (buyer's remorse/second thoughts) as I am really starting to get into the Morphous and enjoying her very much, but this week have purchased an 07Burg400. I'd love to hear more comparisons between the two rides. Let me know how you are enjoying your Burg. Thanks.
08YamahaMorphous "The Purple Pony"
07SuzukiBurgman400 "The Grey Mare"
JimW
Twist 'n Pro
Twist 'n Pro

Post by JimW »

YCB, ~ You've bought the right model year Burg, those from 07 onward have all latest updates and are more reliable than the pre 07 models. How do I like it? Well it does go like the wind getting into the 80s without any trouble at all, most bikes having CVT transmission need revs to engage the clutch, being too careful and not giving enough revs often causes rapid heating of the clutch with juddering, to prevent this it is most important to pull away with at least 3,000 revs on the clock, once the clutch grips the revs are lowered to those suitable for the desired speed. If a previous owner's use has caused clutch judder the best way to get rid of it is to hold the brake on and increase revs to 3- 4000 for a few moments only which helps to deglaze the clutch shoes. It is important also to keep the transmission air filter clear of belt dust which aids cooling.

I soon found the standard windscreen an annoyance, as speeds of 60 plus are reached the screen bends a lot causing wind buffet around one's head, I replaced the screen with a GIVI AF266 that is just wonderful, it's extra thickness gives resistance to bending while its upper section that runs in sliding track is able to be extended or lowered to suit, - or even removed for really warmer days riding. The Givi screen is also wider and provides plenty of wind protection to the hands. At close to 500 lbs the bike is no lightweight and experience has taught me that WHENEVER I STOP the first action is to put out the side stand to rest the bike on before alighting, omitting to do this can cause the bike to tip and fall then it is not easy to get back up - ask me how I know?

Hardness of the rear suspension is adjustable to suit although I've not needed to alter mine. The Burgman is a great bike, I have difficulty calling it a scoot at its 500 lb weight, it's a bike with long legs to be enjoyed.
Keep safe.

Jim
JimW
Twist 'n Pro
Twist 'n Pro

Post by JimW »

My Burg continues to run better that I do starting instantly at the touch of the button, unlike me who seems to be making too frequent trips to either the Dr. or Hospital. In truth I am not expecting to put thousands of miles per year but instead just to ride it solo whenever the weather is good on mostly shorter journeys because my dear lady wife at 80 has so far been unable to mount the pillion seat due to being unable to support her (light) weight on one leg.

Jim