Need Pro Advice

Chat about your old AE50 Hyper or Burgman 400 / 650.
CarlEx
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Need Pro Advice

Post by CarlEx »

Hope you can find the time to share your thoughts. I have a 400cc 2006 Burgman that I just purchased. The Scooter was purchased new as a gift from the woman's husband in hopes they could cruise together. The wife rode it for less then 200 miles a summer and it currently has 1,450 miles on the odometer. So I figure the scooter is brand new almost despite the year and I purchased it. Problem is that on the Scooter's dash is an aftermarket toggle switch that's acting as a kill switch. If the toggle switch is not flicked on prior to turning the key the bike will not turn on. Also if the switch is not on and you turn the key the F1 light comes on. My plan is to figure out the code this weekend and also to follow the wires from the switch to learn more. So my thoughts are that the toggle switch is bypassing something. The owner said it was installed so the battery wouldn't drain?? I believed him at the time but now I have concerns. I've read that the 12V adapter for accessories is constantly on and owners of the 600cc Honda Silver Wing installed a switch so the battery would not drain but I do not know if the Burgman has the same issue. So my question is two fold, if this is a bypass for some type of sensor is it possible that bypassing a certain can damage the Scooter mechanically? I once had a trailblazer that had electrical bypassed and it messed with the oil light and I ended up blowing up the motor, I don't want that to happen. Any advice or suggestions is appreciated. Thank you in advance.