Vino sudden loss of power

Salient/Riva 50, Beluga/ Riva 80, Razz, Jog, Vino, C3, BWs and Zuma scooters.
dustbowl
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Vino sudden loss of power

Post by dustbowl »

My 2005 Vino 50 starts quickly, idles well and runs great on level road. On a steep hill, however, it suddenly looses power while running with wide open throttle after climbing the hill about 50 yards. If I cut back on the throttle to about 3/4, it will then climb the hill in a normal way. I have read on this and other forums (fora?) that others have described a very similar problem but I have not observed a solution.

I have removed the carb and cleaned it very well and also the spark plug. The problem persists. The fuel float level seems correct. It is not a clutch or transmission problem but an engine issue which feels to me like the carb is suddenly introducing either too much or too little fuel.

Any suggestions?
tiny
Throttle Master
Throttle Master
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Vino sudden loss of power

Post by tiny »

Is it modded in any way or pure stock. But sounds like nothing is wrong to me. All small stock 50cc scooters will slowdown on a steep grade at WOT because you are running in "high gear" which is good for top speed but not so much for climbing. Swapping out the Contra Spring/Clutch Spring(the big spring under the shoes) with a stiffer spring will help with speed up hills. Getting a Variatior kit which includes that spring will help all around acceleration and speed.
KYMCO ZX50 & Super9, '13 KYMCO Movie 150
dustbowl
n00b
n00b

Post by dustbowl »

Thank for your reply. My Vino 50 is pure stock and I have been racing up this hill to my home for almost ten years with no problem. The sudden loss of power just started last week so something has changed with my scooter.

Your idea about a clutch spring suggests you think the clutch is slipping under heavy load. That seems logical but in that case, won't the engine speed would remain high? In my case, the engine is definitely suddenly slowing down.

I would appreciate any more thoughts you might have.
tortoise
Step Thru Star
Step Thru Star

Post by tortoise »

dustbowl wrote:I have been racing up this hill to my home for almost ten years with no problem.
Decarbonizing
tiny
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by tiny »

Take the side cover and the bell off of the clutch shoes and see how much friction material is left. If under two mm replace clutch.
I am presuming that the belt has bin replaced with in the last two years? If not it will need to be replaced as well.
Ten years worth of carbon build up in the Exhaust that will need to be cleaned out as Tortoise said.
KYMCO ZX50 & Super9, '13 KYMCO Movie 150