New owner of a Honda Elite 80, with issues

Aero 50, Aero 80, Elite 50, Elite, Elite SR/LX, Elite 80, Gyro, Spree, Dio, Ruckus, Metro/Jazz and the 108cc Elite
Mankypurple
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

New owner of a Honda Elite 80, with issues

Post by Mankypurple »

Hello. Looking for a little help with getting this non running elite 80, running.

I was given a 2007 Elite 80 for free. Looks in good shape. Has been sitting a while without running. Guy said he rebuilt and cleaned the carburetor, but never started it. Not sure how long it's been sitting, but was last registered in 2013.

Right off the bat, the battery is dead. Hooked cables to a car battery and got it to turn over. Started works fine, lights all work fine. Doesnt fire up. Checked plug and wire, they seem ok enough to start. Spark plug is sparking strong. So this thing has spark. While trying to get it to start, found there is a very slight vacuum on the exhaust pipe and the carb is blowing air out of the intake side. I also found the petcock not passing fuel through the lines, new one on order, but I doubt that's the extent of the issues with this thing. I tried a gap check between the rocker and valves, seems ok. Might need a tiny adjustment, but I'd say it should be ok enough to start. Might be wrong here. Noticed the timing chain had a bit of slack as well. Cant figure out what play (if any) is allowed and how to go about fixing that.

Any help would be great. Links even better for diy stuff. I'm a car and helicopter mechanic, this will be my first time tinkering on a scooter. Troubleshooting is always my weak point.
lind777
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: New owner of a Honda Elite 80, with issues

Post by lind777 »

Did you suck in on the vacuum line to the petcock to confirm that fuel wasn't flowing? Also did you crank the throttle a bunch when you tried to start it? I bought a new knock off carb off of eBay for about $50 and it fires right up on my 2004 but when I turn the throttle nothing happens. I don't know if mine is bad right out of the box or could it be something electrical. My problem started when I was riding it and and I was going over cobblestone and it died. I could get it started but every time I added throttle it died so I bought the new carb. Once I put the carb on it fired right up as I said above. Hopefully others have advice for you too.

I posted recently and am hoping for some feedback.

Good luck!
2004 Red CH80
lind777
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by lind777 »

I just took the air filter off and started mine and it still does not rev past idle but I noticed that when I cranked the throttle a bunch there was now a little gas coming out of the opening where the air filter connects (I had removed it to test without it on). It also did not start as easily this time but I could get it going.
2004 Red CH80
Mankypurple
n00b
n00b

Post by Mankypurple »

I did suck the lines eith no fuel or vapors coming through it. I did crank the throttle alot, even tried starter fluid. Couldnt get it to cough at all. All the starter fluid I sprayed in got sprayed right back out of the carb through the air intake opening. So the carb is not operating right at all here.
lind777
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by lind777 »

There are two lines running from the petcock. One is the vacuum and the other is fuel flow (connected to the bottom side of the carb). You would suck on the non-fuel line to make the fuel flow through the fuel line. If it is not flowing when you suck on it then you need to replace the petcock which seems to be a real bear. I am not sure how to get to it. Hopefully someone else can give a tip. I created a video showing how I checked teh flow.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AWjHnngrtwChgDE39
2004 Red CH80
Mankypurple
n00b
n00b

Post by Mankypurple »

Mine is definitely shot! Thank you. And was fairly easy to remove as well. Lossen the lock nut, unscrew the petcock.